Ski Club of Manchester local skiing
We have regular ski meets at Manchester's indoor slope, Chill Factore. Some are purely social events while at others the club provides instructors for on a fairly informal basis.
N.B. You must be a member of the Ski Club of Manchester to participate. It is possible to join on the day provided full payment is made. Details and application form here.
The free coaching we provide is not not suitable for complete beginners.
It is up to each individual to book the slope for themselves in advance. SCoM members can get a 15% discount with the code which is published in the newsletter or by presenting their membership card at "Guest Recepotion". Bookings can be made at reception, online or by telephone (0161 749 2222). There is a £1.99 Credit Card fee but the normal £2.99 telephone booking fee will be waived if the discount code is used.
Ski Mornings are usually every second Thursday in the month. Book ahead directly with Chill Factore to be sure of a place on the slope.
On the days where we provide coaching (October through to March) the instructors (3) will be available from 10.00am to 12.00 noon. We all ski and chat (some can even do both together!!) and go for coffee or lunch afterwards. Contact John Weatherell or Julie Dean-Roberts in advance if you want to join the lesson.
Evening social ski / meets are usually every fourth Wednesday in the month. From October to March the Club provides an instructor from 8.00pm to 10.00pm for those who wish take advantage of free coaching. Again we go for a coffee, chocolate or beer afterwards. Book ahead directly with Chill Factore to be sure of a place on the slope and contact John Weatherell or Julie Dean-Roberts in advance if you want to join a lesson.
Additional evening mogul sessions run from 8.00pm to 10.00pm and there is a £5 per person charge to offset the cost of the instruction.
News from the Chill Factore
By Janet Winstanley. Updated Monday, February 19, 2018
Thursday 8th February ski meeting at the Chill Factore.
9:30 on the Thursday morning saw yours truly standing under the number 5 meeting point sign with three SCoM signing in sheets laid out ready for signatures and phone numbers. Feeling lonely I scooped up the forms and decided to track down members for their input, returning to the number 5 on various occasions.
The slope had a treat for some of us – moguls (maybe a nightmare for others). Some members under instruction were seen dipping in to the end of the moguls. Others had the full run of the bumps with varying degrees of success.
In all 31 members attended the session. This is a good number for the first Thursday morning meeting after the main ski holiday. A good session with coffee and a chat afterwards.
As a help to new members and a reminder for others I have included a few notes on what to do when joining SCoM at the Chill Factore.
Notes for joining a SCoM Chill Factore Session
- A committee member (usually Julie Dean-Roberts) will send out a Newsflash email prior to the event.
- At this time we hope to have a named person to ‘meet and greet’
- Members should reply to the Newsflash email to say that they wish to attend the session. For a Thursday morning instruction session a choice of group is also needed (choices: parallel development, carving or short turns).
- If we know groups are getting too big we can arrange for additional instructors (subject to time and instructor availability of course).
- To avoid any disappointed reply early to the email with your group choice.
- On the meeting day ALL members should make themselves known to the ‘meet and greet’ person and sign the SCoM form remembering to include an emergency phone number. New members should wait at meeting point 5 beyond the ski collection area. Instructors, when available, will be at the top of the slope 10 minutes after the allocated time to start their lesson.
- By signing the form you will be covered by the club’s third-party insurance (part of our membership fee is for insurance with Snowsport England).
- The emergency phone number will only be used if there is an accident, so there is no use using your own phone number.
For Thursday mornings please let Julie know you’re attending by Wednesday evening at the latest, contact details: Julie Dean-Roberts, so that extra instructors can be organised if required, otherwise you could be disappointed.
If late for the session, then meet at the top of the slope.